You should read these repair guidelines if you can access the Windows registry without the regedit error message on your computer.
You can modify the Windows Registry using the Registry tool in the console or using the reg.exe file. Reg.exe is a command line utility that allows you to perform almost any task that Regedit.exe would otherwise do.
Anand Hanse for Windows Club
What Can I Do To Open Regedit On Windows 10?
- Start SFC scan.
- Use the Group Policy Editor.
- Activate regedit manually
- Reset your system
This first method uses an excellent free tool called PC Regedit that allows you to create, delete, and modify Windows registry key values without using Windows.
1. Download PC Regedit.
2. Burn the downloaded PCRegedit.iso file to a CD. This guide shows you how to burn ISO images to CD.
3. Start your computer from the PC Regedit CD and ISOLINUX will boot.
4. When everything is loaded, the MyFileChooser title window will appear. By default, you are in the Config folder. Scroll down a little, select SOFTWARE and press OK.
5. Go to root directory -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Winlogon.
6. Find the user provisioning key and make sure the value is set as follows:
C: Windows System32 Userinit.exe (including comma)
If the userinit key does not exist, you can add a new key by right-clicking in the right pane and choosing Add Key.
You can use this method to load and modify other registry files. Here you will find an explanation of the 5 registry files for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE
Registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SECURITY
Registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM
Registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SAM
Registry location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Registry location: HKEY_USERS .DEFAULT
On Windows NT systems such as Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista and 7, each user’s settings are stored in their own files called NTUSER.DAT and USRCLASS.DAT in their own Documents and Settings subfolder. “(Or their own custom subfolder in Windows Vista or 7).
This method uses the popular Hiren bootable CD and the Mini Windows XP feature to modify the registry.
1. Boot the ISO image from the Hiren bootable CD.
2. Burn the downloaded Hirensbootcd.iso file to a CD. This guide shows you how to burn ISO images to CD.
3. Boot your computer from the Hiren CD and select “Mini Windows XP” from the menu.
4. After Mini XP boots, click the Hiren menu icon on the taskbar -> Registration -> PE Registration Editor.
5. When prompted, browse to the remote Windows directory (usually C: Windows) and click OK.
6. Click OK in each window to select the appropriate registry hive. If you want to change the registry value from HKEY_CURRENT_USER, you must select Yes when asked if you want to load NTUSER.DAT and find the file in the user’s directory.
7. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and the hives are automatically loaded with the _REMOTE_ prefix. Gogo to _REMOTE_SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Winlogon
8. Double-click Userinit and set the value to C: Windows System32 Userinit.exe. Don’t forget to add a comma at the end after Userinit.exe. It is there by default.
8. Close the registry editor and the hives are automatically unloaded.
The third and fourth methods are described on page 2.