In the past few days, some of our readers have come across the well known Windows Media AVI codec error message. This problem can arise for several reasons. We’ll cover them below.
This article provides a solution to an issue where video does not play when played in Windows Media Player 11.
Initial Product Version: Windows 10 – All Editions
Original Knowledge Base Number: 926373
What If Windows 10 Won’t Play AVI Files?
- Use Adobe Premiere Pro
- Install the K-Lite Codec Pack.
- Fixing AVI files with DivFix
- Convert AVI file to other multimedia format
- Open AVI with VLC
- Restore Windows to a restore point
How To Fix An Unreadable AVI File?
To repair unreadable AVI files, follow these steps:
- Window repair. Unable to play AVI files when updating Windows Media Player
- Installing the required codecs
- Open the AVI file in another universal media player.
- Update your Windows driver
The error occurs when the AVI is no longer associated with Windows Media Player.
To solve this problem,
- Open WMP.
Another option is to update WMP to the latest version. On your WMP, press Alt to open the menu if you don’t see it, and select Help. Check for updates and follow the instructions on the screen.
K-Lite includes most of the codecs needed to watch your video. To add K-Lite to Windows, follow these steps:
- Download the latest K-Lite Codec Pack to your hard drive.
- Now open the K-Lite installer and click Next.
- Select normal mode and click Next.
VLC player can play most video formats. You can repair corrupted AVI files with VLC player. Please note that this is only a temporary solution and you may still have problems playing the AVI file on WMP.
- Download and install the latest VLC Media Player.
- Now drag the AVI file onto VLC media player.
- If the index is corrupted, an error or missing AVI dialog will appear.
- Now select “Create Index”, then start playback.
- Select the “Input / Codecs” tab and go tosection “Files”.
- Press Windows R to access the Run option.
- Enter devmgmt.msc in the search box below and click OK.
- On the Device Manager page, click Graphics Cards and select a graphics card from your PC.
- Right-click the Update Driver option.
In most cases Windows can be repaired – the AVI file will not play. If you still see an unreadable AVI file in your windows after following the above methods, it may be due to video file corruption. To fix this problem, you need a reliable AVI repair tool to help you fix corrupted or damaged video files easily.
If your Windows Media Player still reports an unreadable AVI file after following the above methods, you will need a reliable AVI repair tool to fix the issue.
Remo Repair AVI uses availableread-only mechanism that will repair your damaged or damaged AVI video file without modifying the original video. It offers an easy solution to recover AVI files that cannot be played.
Remo Repair AVI fixes corrupted, damaged and truncated files with header corruption, as well as AVI files that only play audio or video.
How To Fix An Unreadable AVI File?
Follow the steps in the next section to repair an unreadable AVI file on Windows with Remo Repair AVI
- Select the AVI video file that will not play and click “Restore”. Select the unreadable AVI video you need to fix.
The above article describes a Windows error – AVI file won’t playis given, as well as appropriate approaches to fix the error. We always recommend downloading or transferring AVI files from trusted sources and keeping your codec and drivers up to date. As these solutions support not only AVI files but other video file formats as well