In some cases, your computer may generate an error code indicating that my antivirus software cannot be updated. This error can be caused by a variety of reasons.
Tom’s Guide is part of Future plc, a leading international media group and digital publisher.
Visit our company page
© Future Publishing Limited, Kai House, Amburi, Bad BA1 1UA.
All rights reserved. Sales number 2008885 in England and Wales.
What To Do If AVG Update Fails?
- Update AVG manually
- Change your antivirus.
- Delete temporary update files.
- Check for malware
- Disable Windows Firewall
- Reinstall AVG Antivirus
1. Try Another Antivirus
If Windows Defender doesn’t live up to your expectations, it’s time to consider an alternative. If you want to forget about all the update errors, try Vipre.
This lightweight antivirus does its job in the background, always protecting you from computer viruses, malware, ransomware, and identity theft.
Also, rest assured that installing Vipre on your computer is simple and straightforward, without unnecessary features that can clutter the user interface.
Vipre Antivirus Plus
Windows Defender Not Updating? Vipre is the antivirus you should be using instead!
2. Preliminary Fixes
- Make sure you have some other security software installed as it will disable Windows Defender and disable its updates. Remove your current antivirus software.
- Check the Windows Defender Update interface for updates and try Windows Update if that doesn’t work. To do this, click Start> Programs> Windows Defender> Check for Updates Now.
- Install any pending updates and restart your computer. Then try running Windows Defender Update again. Configure Windows Defender to receive updates automatically (this is achieved through Windows Updates).
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.