Over the past few weeks, some users have informed us that they have encountered errors that we could not find.
Nobody seemed to answer for a while. To start a conversation, just ask a new question.
This trialLema came to me at about the same time as yours.
My solution was to change the iCal account information from my “alternate” email address to my actual “@ gmail” address. In iCal, go to set up the server path for your Google account. If your “secondary” email address appears along the way, simply replace that part with your actual Gmail address.
If you used an alternate email address as a custom setting, you may also need to change it for your Gmail user. In my case, my “user” is the same for both addresses, so I only changed the path to the server.
Gmail recently changed the way it handles alternate email addresses on the calendar. I suspect this is a side effect and now you need to use your actual @ gmail.com address in your iCal settings.
Or we have completely different problems.
April 15, 2011 4:50 AM
I solved the problem by logging out of iCal on my Mac, going to (your username) / Library / Calendars folder and dragging the calendar cache file to the trash. Then I restarted iCal. After doing this, my Google Apps calendars were synced again.
October 19, 2011 11:11 AM
Thank you, theologian. This solution worked for me too.
October 24, 2011 2:51 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for fixing the bug, but items are still not syncing with Google Cal. Now I have no sync and no errors. ðŸ˜ ‰
ðŸ ™ ‚
October 26, 2011 5:40 AM
Ok … so it still can’t be updated on google (it shows all those old posts / appointments that I deleted a few weeks ago) … i moved the date (on google) and it started ical updated (yay) … then I (again) deleted ego from ical, and now the error message came back – but only on the delegate that had the assignment changes. frustrating.
further shows that only one of the four delegates cannot send updates. Of course, this is the most important delegate, the work schedule.
October 26, 2011 7:04 AM
I did that too (cleared the calendar cache) and it worked. However, there were some nuances.
1. When I first tried it, 2 calendars appeared in my iCal. Then I deleted one of them, closed iCal, returned to Finder and cleared the “Calendar Cache” and “Calendar Cache ~”.
This temporarily fixed the problem. However, my iCal lost contact with my Gmail calendar again after about 10 minutes.
I converted it into aIt’s a process, and now everything seems to be working fine. Appointments created in my iCal calendar but not synced to my Gmail calendar had to be tweaked a bit and then updated to sync back to my Gmail calendar (room). Fortunately, there weren’t many of them, since I haven’t had this problem for too long.
The people invited to the meetings then (finally) received their invitations.
October 26, 2011 12:08 PM
accidentally I cleared the cache again …. no change … but tried to edit