Last week, some users informed us that they came across a Windows update with a registry fix.
- Select Start, search for “regedit” and open the Registry Editor.
- Open the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Policies Microsoft Windows WindowsUpdate AU.
- Add one of the following registry values to configure automatic updates.
- Windows 10
Are you looking for consumer information? See Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions
You can use Group Policy or Mobile Device Management (MDM) settings to configure the behavior of Windows Update (WU) on your Windows 10 devices. You can configure how often to check for updates, choose when to receive updates, specify the location of the update service, and others.
What Should I Do If The Check For Updates Button Is Not Displayed In Windows 10?
- Use debugging software
- Check your group policies.
- Change your registration
- Reset Windows Update Components
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Run Windows Update from the command line.
- Read the instructions.
- Create a new user account
- Perform the update In place.
Fix 2: Temporarily Disable IPv6
If Windows Update is already running and error 0x80070422 persists, temporarily disable IPv6 by following these steps:
- Right-click Start, then select Run.
ncpa.cpland press ENTER.
- Right-click on your Internet connection and select Properties.
- In the list of items, clear the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP / IPv6) check box.
- Click OK and restart your computer.
- After installing the updates, re-enable IPv6.
This should fix Windows update error
Unable to update WU service startup type in Registry Editor?
If you receive the Access Denied error message again when you try to update a registry value by using Registry Editor, do one of the following:
Option 1 (preferred): Modify the registry setting by running Registry Editor as LOCALSYSTEM or TrustedInstaller.
Varianr 2. Take ownership of the Windows Update service registry key below and assign the required permissions.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services wuauserv
For more information about how to own a registry key and assign permissions, see How to take ownership of a registry key and assign full permissions.
The same can be done using the console tool SetACL.exe. For more information, see Take ownership of a registry key and assign permissions from the command line
Now check if you can change the startup type of Windows Update service using MMC services or command line.