Vowels are out, however VC danger is in
The total Fairness crew was available to debate the present enterprise capital market, inquisitive about how risk-on, or risk-off issues actually are in the present day. Danny, Natasha and I framed the dialog round quite a lot of information gadgets from the week, together with:
- Wrkfrce has launched, and we needed to speak extra about the way forward for area of interest media, bringing The Juggernaut’s own recent round and the Quartz shakeup into the dialog.
- And on the media entrance — at all times a dangerous enterprise capital investing area — Spotify has snapped up another podcasting company, this time paying $235 for Megaphone. Our take? A string of small exits in all probability received’t encourage VCs to tackle extra danger within the area (Hunter Stroll mentioned the identical factor here.)
- Turning to danger extra typically, I requested Natasha to weigh in on the sooner phases of the enterprise market, and Danny on its later tranches. There’s nonetheless numerous cash, nevertheless it seems extra targeted on chasing winners than bolstering or supporting less-obvious startups.
- That market will not be slowing a risk-on transfer towards extra enterprise capital gamers, as the Spearhead news confirmed a brand new focus for the agency to put money into rising fund managers.
- And there’s nonetheless loads of danger tolerance in remote-work options like Hopin, which just raised $125 million at a $2+ billion valuation. We’re torn on the spherical, however Danny likes it and he’s a former VC.
- And we wrapped with a chat about upcoming IPOs, and the recent SoftBank results. If DoorDash, Airbnb and others are going to go this 12 months, they should go quickly. To this point, no cube.
It was a busy week, regardless of the month. Count on extra of the identical subsequent week.
Lastly, don’t overlook that our personal Chris Gates is slicing Fairness movies out of each episode that you could find over on YouTube. He does an important job and it’s nice to be on video, in addition to audio platforms.