Sometimes, your system may display an error code indicating that the Windows Update service will not start. This error can be caused by a number of reasons.
Many Windows users are having problems updating Windows. When you check for updates on your Windows system, you receive the error “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running.” And they cannot install updates for their system.
This is a boring problem. Trying to solve a problem is as boring as you spend a lot of time reading sentences online, and most of them don’t work.
But don’t worry. Below are a few methods that many Windows users were able to use to fix their error.
Why Is Windows Update Not Working?
- Accidental shutdown of Windows Update Service.
- Corrupted Windows files and components.
Solution 1: Run The Troubleshooter Center UpdatedWindows
Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that you can use to investigate and fix problems with Windows Update. This is always a good method if you are having trouble starting Windows Update.
- Enter the fix into the Windows search bar and click Troubleshoot.
- Click “Fix problems with Windows Update”, then click “Next”.
- Restart your computer and try installing updates again.
You can also run the update troubleshooter from the settings page.
You can also try one of these more handy troubleshooting tools!
Solution 2: Disable Windows Update
Enabling and disabling Windows Update through Control Panel fixed this error for many users as Windows Update resets incompatible settings. To do this on older Windows versions:
- In the search results, click Click Windows Update and then Change settings.
- In the Important Updates section, select the Never check for updates option and click OK.
- Go to the Windows update settings window again, select “Install updates automatically” and click “OK”.
The steps below may be slightly different for newer versions of Windows 10. Regardless of the steps below, you must turn off Windows Update, restart your computer, and then turn the service back on.
For more information on how to block updates for the latest versions of Windows 10, see the following guides:
- How to block automatic updates in Windows 10
- 3 ways to block driver updates in Windows 10
Solution 3: Update Your RST Driver
This error can be caused by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) driver being out of date, corrupt, or missing.
Hence, you need to update the RST driver manually by searching for the latest correct driver on the Intel official website.
Make sure We have selected drivers that are compatible with your version of Windows.
Solution 4: Delete Your Windows Update History
Temporary files for Windows Update are saved in the Software Distribution folder.
You may see the error due to corruption issues in these files. A good solution is to delete the contents of this folder. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows Key R to open the Run command window.
- Enter services.msc and click OK.
- Right-click Windows Update, then click Stop.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C: Windows folder.
- Find and delete the software distribution folder < / svg % 3E ">
- Return to the Windows Control Panel, right-click the Windows Update service and select Start.
- Restart your computer and run Windows Update.
Editor’s note. This article will be continued on the next page. If you want to know more about Windows Update read our extensive collection of tutorials .
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in October 2018 and was revised and updated in June 2020 to ensure it is current, accurate, and complete. “> Do you still have problems? Fix them with this tool: This software fixes common computer errors and protects you from file loss. Malware, hardware failure, and optimizing your PC for maximum performance. fix PC problems and virus removal in 3 easy steps:
- Download this PC repair tool Highly rated on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page)
- Click Start Scan to find possible Windows problems. Causes problems with the PC.
- Click “Repair All” to fix patent issues. Technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
- 0 followers have downloaded Restoro this month.
Was this page helpful?
Thanks for letting us know! You can also help us by leaving a review on MyWOT or Trustpillot.
Get the most out of your technology with our daily tips